Preserve Evidence

Even if you are not currently thinking about reporting to the police, you might decide to in the future so we recommend that you preserve evidence that could later be used in an investigation. If you haven't already:

  • Save any clothing that you were wearing at the time of the assault. Leave unwashed and if possible place in a paper bag. Don't worry if you have washed your clothes, still keep them.
  • Do not disturb anything in the area where the assault occurred.
  • We understand that you may want to wash. However, you have the option to have an examination to collect evidence of the assault so we suggest that you do not shower, wash or bath, douche, brush your teeth or comb your hair.
  • Do not eat or drink. If you need a drink, make sure it is non-alcoholic, and use a straw if possible. Keep the straw and/or drinks container.
  • Do not smoke.
  • If you need to go to the toilet, collect the urine in a clean container with a lid and place in the fridge with a note of the time and date.
  • Do not wash any bedding that the incident may have taken place on. Put in a separate bag.
  • If your attacker touched anything i.e. a cup, chewing gum, clothes, other items - put them in separate bags.
  • If your attacker smoked, keep any cigarette ends - put them in a separate bag.
  • Keep any sanitary towels or tampons worn at the time of the incident or since - put them in separate bags.
  • Keep any discarded condoms from the incident - put them in separate bags.

You can take these actions whether you choose to report to the police at this time or not. If evidence is preserved, it may be able to be used if you decide to report to the police in the future. If you choose to have a medical examination, you will be asked to bring these items with you. You can read more about the option of having an examination on this page: click here.

We realise this can sound rather daunting. Please feel free to call our 24/7 helpline and a Crisis Worker will talk it through with you.

In an emergency, always dial 999.