are available to men, women and children who live or have been raped or sexually assaulted within Cumbria. We are contactable 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. We offer a safe and non-judgemental environment which focuses on the needs of you, the individual.
Telephone: 0808 118 6432
If you are in danger it is important that you call the Police on 999 in an emergency or 101 in a non-emergency
If you have been raped or sexually assaulted more than 10 days ago
We understand that you may be feeling a wide range of emotions including shock, humiliation, distress, fear, anger, guilt or helplessness. Below are some options available to you. It is up to you what you want to do and what services you would like to access. Our staff can give you more information about these options and will support you in any of the options that you choose.
- Reporting to the police: We can support you in reporting the assault to the police.
- Not reporting to the police: You can access all the services below whether you choose to report to the police or not. We can also talk to you about sharing some information with the police, which can be done anonymously.
- Sexual health services: It is advisable to have a sexual health screen following an assault. We can refer you onto a sexual health clinic for screening and follow-on care, as appropriate to your case.
- Practical and emotional support: Independent Sexual Violence Advisors can help you to access the services you need, as well as providing a listening ear.
- Counselling: After an assault, counselling can be a way for you to think and talk about how you feel with support of specialist counsellors who can help you deal with the impact of being sexually assaulted or raped.
We know it may be difficult to discuss what has happened and you may just want to try and forget about it. However, it is important that you are supported and have access to available services. At The Bridgeway, crisis workers are available 24/7 through our freephone number - if you want to access support or are unsure of what to do, call us on 0808 118 6432.
Pages in the Access Help section of this website provide more information on the different services which are available.